1. Australia is the 6th largest country by size, a massive 2.9 million square miles.
2. While it’s huge, the population is only 25 million. The closest American state in population is New York, which has 21 million people, yet Australia is more than 53 times its size.
3. The Great Victoria Desert, just ONE of Australia’s barren areas is larger than the United Kingdom. You could lose an entire country in Australia and never know it.
4. The longest fence in the world is in Australia, and it runs for over 5,530 kilometers.
5. More than 80 percent of Australians live within 100 kilometers of the coast.
6. More than 25% of all Australians were born in another country.
7. There are more than 150 million sheep in Australia and only 20 million people. That’s 8 sheep for every person.
8. There are over 60 different species (types) of kangaroos.
9. There are over 1,500 species of spiders live in Australia. While some of them are super venomous, others are completely harmless.
10. Australia is truly a land of extremes with the highest temperature ever recorded being 50.7 °C (123.3 °F) and the lowest −23.0 °C (−9.4 °F).